Derek Jeter sent shock waves around the baseball world this past week when he announced that he would be retiring from Major League Baseball after the 2014 season and with that, everyone has started to wonder who will be the next shortstop of the New York Yankees once the captain makes his exit.
With no clear cut replacement in the minor leagues. it will be all but certain that the Yankees will either have to look for a replacement via the trade market or in free agency, but it looks like you can cross off at least one name on the free agent market who is available to sign right now, as Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York has reported that the Yankees will not pursue Boston Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew.
"There has been some Internet chatter that in light of the Derek Jeter retirement news, the Yankees might go after Stephen Drew. The idea is that Drew could play second and third base this season and then become Jeter's replacement in 2015. As a hypothesis goes, it is not terrible. However, a source told ESPN New York the Yankees still aren't interested in Drew. It didn't sound as if they are going to change their minds, either."
Drew could have played both shortstop and more so third base with the 162-game suspension of Alex Rodriguez in 2014, but the Yankees aren't budging on their feelings for Drew and will simply stick with Jeter as the starter at short with Brendan Ryan as the reserve just in case of injury. Kelly Johnson is currently penciled in to play third for the Yankees when the season starts, although the team would like to platoon Johnson and find a right-handed starter.
With the Yankees likely not to pursue Drew, that leaves the Red Sox as the potential favorites to bring back Drew with the New York Mets as the other team who has interest in Drew. There have been mixed reports about the Mets offering Drew a contract, but nobody has confirmed if there was an offer made or it was simply a negotiation tactic to get other teams involved for the veteran shortstop's services.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.
- With Derek Jeter Set to Retire at Seasons End; Now is the Time to Sign Stephen Drew
- New York Yankees Won’t Sign Former Boston Red Sox SS/3B Stephen Drew
- New York Yankees Again Interested in Boston Red Sox SS Stephen Drew: Report
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew, Matt Garza as Free Agent Targets
- New York Yankees Re-Sign Derek Jeter to 1-Year, $12 Million Deal for 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18ar