Yankee legend. World Series Champion. Iconic player. Future Hall of Famer. Overall great talent. Class act on and off the field. Los Angeles Angels first basemen and former MVP Albert Pujols added a new one for the 39-year-old shortstop, who announced on Wednesday that he was retiring from the sport after the 2014 season, as he told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.
Pujols on Jeter: "On and off field, he's the way you want your kids to grow up, Only Jesus is perfect, but he's pretty close to that guy."— Mike DiGiovanna (@MikeDiGiovanna) February 13, 2014
Pretty close to Jesus. If that's not the highest of compliments. And Pujols is pretty dead on. Very dead on, actually.
Ask anyone who has played with Jeter or against him on the field and you will find nothing but high praise and tell you how much of a true professional and great human being Jeter is. It might come from his parents upbringing and them raising him right in the household of Dr. Charles and Dorothy Jeter, but the Yankee shortstop took everything his parents taught him and carried it into his everyday life, especially if someone like Pujols, who is also considered a class act around baseball, to give Jeter that high of a praise.
The funny thing is, Jeter would likely deny it and talk about his teammates and how he's been blessed by everyone around him. Because he is that kind of remarkable player and person.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter to Retire Following 2014 Season
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter Goes 2-for-3, RBI in Rehab Outing for Class-AAA Scranton/Wilks Barre
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter to Begin Rehab Assignment for Class-AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday
- New York Yankees Activate Derek Jeter Off DL
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/188e