Jonah Keri of Grantland has reported that former Tampa Bay Rays closer Fernando Rodney has signed with the Seattle Mariners on a two-year, $14 million deal with incentives built into the deal that could make the deal as much as $15 million.
This past week, there was a growing notion around the league that the Yankees could end up snagging Rodney on a short-term deal like this one he signed to go to Seattle, but the Mariners have an open spot for the closers role and going after Rodney made sense for them.
It's not the first move the Mariners made to beat out a team like the Yankees, as they ended up prying second basemen Robinson Cano from them two months ago when they signed him to a 10-year, $240 million deal.
Although the Yankees officially never got into the mix, teams like the Baltimore Orioles and New York Mets were in the mix, but it was the free-spending Mariners who made the move this offseason to land another top free agent in Rodney and will look to try and help Seattle in a very deep American League West.
Rodney was one of the last top closers on the free agent market to come off the board; Joe Nathan had signed with the Detroit Tigers, Grant Balfour signed with the Tampa Bay Rays and Joaquin Benoit had signed with the San Diego Padres, so with them off the board, Robertson still remains the closer for the team heading into camp.
However, it doesn't rule out the team looking into a reclamation project of a closer coming off injury as there are a few of them on the market; former Boston Red Sox arms Joel Hanrahan and Andrew Bailey are both available, as is former Philadelphia Phillies closer Ryan Madson, who hasn't pitched in almost two years due to severe arm issues.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.
- New York Yankees Could End up Signing Tampa Bay Rays Closer Fernando Rodney as Insurance: Report
- Brian Cashman, Hal Steinbrenner Tab David Robertson as Closer for New York Yankees in 2014
- New York Yankees Unsure If David Robertson Will Be Closer in 2014; Will Look at Market for Options
- Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners Agree to 10-Year, $240 Million Contract: Report
- New York Yankees Sign Masahiro Tanaka to Seven-Year, $155M Deal
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17t3