Over the last couple of years, the National Hockey League has been holding games outdoors in baseball venues known as the Winter Classic; Fenway Park in Boston, Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia and Wrigley Field in Chicago have played host to regular season games which normally take place around New Years Day. On Saturday night, Dodger Stadium played host to the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Mighty Ducks.
On Sunday, it was Yankee Stadium's turn to play host to the NHL as on Sunday, the building that normally plays host to Derek Jeter getting game-winning hits ended up playing host to the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils in the first of a two-game NHL Stadium Series event this week; the game between the Ducks and Kings was considered to be the first game of the series which took place 3,000 miles away across the country.
After a 40-minute delay in which the sun glare held up the start of the contest, the first ever hockey game to grace the ballpark finally got going; the Devils took an early 3-1 lead in the first quarter lead by two goals by veteran Patrick Elias, but then the Rangers scored six straight goals which included four goals in the second period as the Rangers, who were playing in New York but were considered the away team in the Bronx, cruised easily to a 7-3 victory on Sunday afternoon.
Longtime Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur allowed six goals in net before being pulled for backup Corey Schneider, who allowed the seventh and final goal of the game in the 7-3 contest.
On Wednesday night, the series will conclude when the Rangers will take on another one of their cross-town rivals in the New York Islanders; the Rangers will again be considered the away team when they skate in the Bronx.
Photo credit: Erin Larkin
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Mariano Rivera Pitches in Final Appearance Ever at Yankee Stadium
- CC Sabathia Ineffective Again as Boston Red Sox Defeat New York Yankees 5-1
- Report: Alex Rodriguez Expected to Travel with New York Yankees; not Skipping Out on Series Vs. Houston Astros
- New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles Weekend Series Pitching Preview
- Hiroki Kuroda Roughed up Again as Toronto Blue Jays Defeat New York Yankees 7-2
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1762