The New York Yankees have already spent an estimated $470 million in free agency this winter and yet, they apparently are not done with the spending spree.
"The Yankees are now considering free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew, which could potentially put another dent in the rival Red Sox's up-the-middle alignment only weeks after the Yankees signed Boston star center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury. There has been a thought the Yankees might be willing to keep spending after landing star Japanese free agent pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. But while there doesn't seem to be a push for another top starter or reliever, Drew is one free agent the Yankees are at least weighing, according to people familiar with their thinking."
Heyman mentioned that the Yankees are interested in Drew, but on their own terms and their own price, but given that they will exceed the $189 million mark with the latest acquisition of Masahiro Tanaka on Wednesday night, the Yankees aren't exactly budgeting their money and trying to cut costs in order to field a championship team.
Derek Jeter is expected to come back healthy and is preparing to be with the Yankees for the 2014 season, but he'll be turning 40 years old this year and it's not sure how many years, much less healthy years, he will have left in the majors. Plus, Alex Rodriguez had his 211 game suspension reduced to 162 games, which eliminates him from playing in 2014 unless it gets overturned in federal court, so they could use a starting third basemen if they don't want to use Kelly Johnson as their starting third basemen on opening day.
Drew hit .253 with 13 home runs and 67 RBI while playing as the starting shortstop for the World Series Champion Red Sox this past season.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees Won’t Sign Former Boston Red Sox SS/3B Stephen Drew
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew, Matt Garza as Free Agent Targets
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Detroit Tigers’ Jhonny Peralta as SS/3B Insurance
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi Interested in Chicago Cubs Job “If They’re Interested”
- New York Yankees Strongly Interested in Detroit Tigers’ Omar Infante for All Infield Spots: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1711