He has however vowed to come back this season and is fighting to get back in 2014 since he filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball to get the season-long ban overturned that was reduced from 211 games down to 162 games, plus the postseason if the Yankees make it that far.
However, in his first public appearance since Saturday's ruling from federal arbitrator Frederic Horowitz, the 38-year-old slugger spoke in a bit of a somber tone and sounded like he had regret as far as the decision goes as well as how it's been handled in the media.
"It's a very sad story," said the three-time AL MVP, who mostly appeared somber as he spoke Wednesday. "And we hope we can take it out of the newspapers and I hope we can start concentrating on all the good things the big league is doing with all the young players moving forward."
While attending an opening for a gym Rodriguez is affiliated with down in Mexico City, Rodriguez didn't address the suspension, nor the lawsuit he currently has against the sport, but he sounded like a person that might use the year to rest and relax and may have finally accepted the punishment that came down onto him.
"I think that in the year 2014, the league could have done me a favor because I've played 20 years without a timeout," Rodriguez said in his first public comments since his suspension appeal was rejected last week. "I think 2014 will be a year to rest, mentally, physically prepare myself for the future and begin a new chapter of my life."
While his $25 million is officially off the books for the Yankees payroll, he is still owed another $61 million over the next three years and from the sounds of things, Rodriguez isn't speaking retirement anytime soon, especially with all of the legal bills he will have to pay to his attorneys in the arbitration case he battled and ultimately, lost.
The year away from baseball could do A-Rod some good, as it could get his name out of public spotlight for a while and get some of the heat that is currently on him, away from him and maybe he can come back at 39-years-old a healthy player who can still swing the bat and make an impact for the Yankees in 2015. In 2013, Rodriguez missed over 100 games due to recovering from the surgery needed from the torn labrum in his hip. That injury is just one of several he has dealt with since 2011 and hasn't played in a full season since 2010.
On Wednesday, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said that Rodriguez was still an asset to the Yankees and was still open to the idea of him playing for the team in the 2015 season.
- Will Alex Rodriguez Ever Play Again for the New York Yankees Following 2014 Season Suspension?
- Alex Rodriguez Very Confident He’ll Be Playing for New York Yankees in 2014
- New York Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez Set to Begin Hearing for 211-Game Suspension on Monday; Ready for Fight Vs. MLB
- New York Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez Suspended for Entire 2014 Season; Will Appeal Ruling in Federal Court
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16sw