On Wednesday, Japanese star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka arrived to the United States and will start meeting with the teams of Major League Baseball that are interested in his services.
The New York Yankees are one of the more interested parties and are expected to meet with Tanaka in the next couple of weeks to discuss coming to the Bronx.
With Masahiro Tanaka’s arrival in America on Wednesday, the bidding war for the 25-year-old Japanese right-hander’s services can begin. At least 10 teams are expected to meet with Tanaka in the early phase of this process, and the Yankees are on the list, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.With Masahiro Tanaka’s arrival in America on Wednesday, the bidding war for the 25-year-old Japanese right-hander’s services can begin. At least 10 teams are expected to meet with Tanaka in the early phase of this process, and the Yankees are on the list, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
Along with the Yankees, the Seattle Mariners, Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels and Texas Rangers are expected to be interested in Tanaka as well; some feel that the Mariners and Diamondbacks could be heavy favorites for Tanaka and be major challengers to the Yankees.
With the new posting system for Japanese players, teams interested like the Yankees will give Tanaka's team the required $20 million in order to speak with him and then teams can offer him whatever contract they desire; one report thinks that the Yankees could offer a six-year, $120 million deal to Tanaka.
Earlier in the offseason, Tanaka hired Casey Close as his agent. Close is the same agent for current Yankees shortstop and captain Derek Jeter, who recently dealt with the Yankees and negotiated the 39-year-old's one-year, $12 million contract for the 2014 season.
Heading into the season, the Yankees have CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova and Hiroki Kuroda as their three guaranteed starters and would like to add Tanaka as their fourth with people like Michael Pineda, David Phelps, Adam Warren and Vidal Nuno for the fifth spot.
Photo credit: Takuro K. via Flickr
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees Expected to Heavily Pursue Japanese Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka This Winter
- New York Yankees Begin Pursuit of Masahiro Tanaka; Contact His Agent to Talk Deal
- Report: New York Yankees Making “Bold Push” to Land Masahiro Tanaka; Posting Bid Could Top $75 Million
- New York Yankees Moving on from Masahiro Tanaka; Japanese Team Won’t Post Him to MLB
- Rakuten Golden Eagles Will Post Masahiro Tanaka with New York Yankees Strongly Interested
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16kd