Ever since the offseason began, the New York Yankees had remained interested in shortstop Stephen Drew of the Boston Red Sox, especially given the fact that Derek Jeter spent most of the 2013 season on the disabled list and will turn 40 years old this coming year.
However, with Jeter likely to be fully healthy and able to bounce back for the Yankees, plus the possibility that Alex Rodriguez could be in the starting lineup at the start of the 2014 season, the New York Yankees have decided to pass on Drew.
The Yankees look like they'll trust Derek Jeter's prediction that he'll have a healthy and productive 2014. Brian Cashman said the team won't sign free agent shortstop Stephen Drew, Peter Gammons tweets. Drew is widely considered the best at his position on the market. The Red Sox and Mets have been reported as possible landing spots for the 30-year-old Drew.
The 30-year-old could have filled in at both positions if he were signed, but given his asking price; which is rumored to be around $12-14 million per season, the Yankees are figuring to stick with Jeter at shortstop and Rodriguez at third, or, if A-Rod does have to serve a suspension, Kelly Johnson could also start at third basemen.
Drew hit .253 with 13 home runs and 67 RBI in 125 games for the World Series Champions in 2013 and could still end up back with the Red Sox, but he also could still end up in New York, but with the New York Mets, who remain interested in him but in a short-term deal.
Photo credit: rburtzel / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew, Matt Garza as Free Agent Targets
- New York Yankees Sign Baltimore Orioles 2B Brian Roberts, Boston Red Sox LHP Matt Thornton
- New York Yankees to Sign Boston Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury to 7-Year, $153 Million Deal: Report
- New York Yankees Re-Sign Derek Jeter to 1-Year, $12 Million Deal for 2014
- St. Louis Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta to 4-Year, $53 Million Deal; New York Yankees were Interested
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16f7