In a bit of a stunning turn of events, the New York Yankees had a chance to replace the departed Robinson Cano with a trade offer from the Cincinnati Reds, but it looks like the Yankees didn't like what was presented to them.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports and WFAN has reported that the Yankees turned down a one-for-one swap that would have landed them all star second basemen Brandon Phillips in exchange for center fielder Brett Gardner.
The 32-year-old Phillips regressed a bit in 2013, but is still considered to be one of the best second basemen in the sport and one of the most logical trade options to replace Cano, who left last week to sign with the Seattle Mariners on a 10-year, $240 million deal. Phillips still had another four years and $50 million left on his contract, which would have been a lot cheaper for the Yankees to afford as opposed to signing Cano to the deal he was looking for.
There were reports earlier in the day that the Yankees were looking for starting pitching in a deal for Gardner; perhaps someone like Homer Bailey, so if the two sides were to revisit this deal again; especially since both sides can benefit from each player involved in the deal, maybe the Reds add in a pitcher for the Yankees like Bailey to entice them to take Phillips and the rest of his contract.
Gardner became expendable to the Yankees with the recent signings of Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran to the starting outfield; the Yankees are also looking to trade Ichiro Suzuki as well this winter.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Yankees Inquired on Cincinnati Reds 2B Brandon Phillips; Price Too Steep for Trade
- New York Yankees Have Inquired on Cincinnati Reds Pitcher Homer Bailey: Report
- Report: New York Yankees Very Interested in Cincinnati Reds CF Shin-Soo Choo
- New York Yankees in on Boston Red Sox’ Jacoby Ellsbury, Could Trade Brett Gardner If Signed
- Report: Former New York Yankees RF Paul O’Neill Interested in Cincinnati Reds Managing Job
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15b2