With the New York Yankees officially now looking for a second basemen with the departure of Robinson Cano, who signed a 10-year, $240 million deal with the Seattle Mariners last week, they are exploring all options.
The names that have been most talked about have been trading for Brandon Phillips of the Cincinnati Reds or signing Omar Infante as a free agent who was previously of the Detroit Tigers, but on Monday night, a new name emerged on the Yankees radar.
"Yankees have talked to Brian Roberts agent. Could just be kicking the ol' tires. I hear they need a second baseman," he tweeted.
The 36-year-old Roberts has been oft-injured since the 2009 season, as he has not played more than 77 games since then; the 77 games was what he played in during the 2013 season with Baltimore, where he hit .249 with eight home runs and 39 RBI.
When Roberts was in his prime, he was a lethal lead-off hitter who hit for a high average and stole a ton of bases at the top of Baltimore's order; he had a league-leading 50 stolen bases back in the 2007 season. The Yankees know Roberts well from playing against him since he became a full time starter in Baltimore during the 2003 season.
For his career, Roberts is a career .278 hitter with 92 home runs and 521 RBI with 278 stolen bases and a .349 on-base percentage in the 13 seasons he's been a pro. With Roberts being up in age, plus his recent history of not being able to stay healthy, he could be a one-year stop-gap until the Yankees find their long-term solution for the position; wherever or whomever that may be.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Yankees Could Look to Target Catchers Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Brian McCann in Free Agency
- New York Yankees’ Brett Gardner Suffers Oblique Strain on Thursday Vs. Baltimore Orioles, Status Unknown
- Robinson Cano’s Go-Ahead, 9th Inning Home Run Pushes New York Yankees Closer to Postseason, Beat Baltimore Orioles 5-4
- Chris Tillman Quiets New York Yankees Bats, Guides Baltimore Orioles to 4-2 Win
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/155g