The New York Yankees already made headlines on Tuesday night when they landed Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury on a seven year, $153 million deal to become the team's new center fielder and potentially, sending Brett Gardner out of town.
A few hours after making perhaps one of the biggest splashes of the winter, the Yankees then made another move to add depth and some insurance to the roster, as Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Yankees are closing in on signing Tampa Bay Rays infielder Kelly Johnson on a one-year deal.
"Yankees close to signing Kelly Johnson to a 1-yr about $2.75-3M. Plan is to play a lot around diamond, potential 2b option if Cano leaves," he tweeted.
The 31-year-old Johnson hit .235 with 16 home runs and 52 RBI in 118 games for the Rays last season playing all four infield positions plus left field, which means he just added some versatility to the team and can be a super-sub and play almost everyday if needed.
While the Yankees are trying to re-sign second basemen Robinson Cano, if he were somehow to leave in free agency, Johnson provides some insurance to the position. He also provides insurance for Alex Rodriguez in case he has to serve a suspension in the 2014 season for his alleged role in the Miami Biogenesis case; a case that he is fighting against.
Aside from playing in Tampa Bay, Johnson has also played with the Atlanta Braves, Arizona Diamondbacks and Toronto Blue Jays; so with the Yankees, it will be his third American League East team that he will be playing for in as many seasons. His best season in the majors may have been back in 2010 with Arizona when he hit .284 with 26 home runs and 71 RBI with 13 stolen bases.
Even if Cano does come back to the Yankees, the spot that Johnson has replaced is the one of Jayson Nix; who was non-tendered by the Yankees this week, as he is the same kind of player except he can play the outfield while Nix was strictly an infielder by trade.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- New York Yankees to Sign Boston Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury to 7-Year, $153 Million Deal: Report
- New York Yankees to Sign Atlanta Braves Catcher Brian McCann to 5-Year, $85 Million Deal: Report
- Report: New York Yankees Closing in on Re-Signing SS Brendan Ryan; Will Look at Other Infield Options
- Report: St. Louis Cardinals’ Carlos Beltran Interested in Signing with New York Yankees for 2014 Season
- Report: New York Yankees are “Definitely Interested” in Signing St. Louis Cardinals RF Carlos Beltran
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/14xt