It was almost six years ago during the 2007 World Series where Alex Rodriguez announced that he would be opting out of his contract with the New York Yankees in order to become a free agent. The timing of it was criticized as it was the night before a clinching game; Game 4 for the Boston Red Sox, who later that night went on to win the World Series over the Colorado Rockies.
Six years later, before Game 6 of the 2013 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals, it was A-Rod in the news again, although not as headline-grabbing as his free agency news was back in 2007. Instead, it was his legal team and lawyer making the headlines for his client.
On Wednesday, Rodriguez's lawyer Joe Tacopina took shots at Major League Baseball as he said the league has no substantial evidence against Rodriguez and feel that they have been reaching in the entire case to have him serve a 211-game suspension for his alleged role in the Miami Biogenesis case in which he's being accused of purchasing and using performance enhancing drugs.
“As we have said all along, Alex has never bought any documents related to Biogenesis, and he has repeatedly turned down offers from various individuals who approached him about buying them,” Tacopina said in a statement. “Alex unequivocally denies having exposed any players. This is MLB’s desperate cry for help. What happened to the ‘overwhelming mountain’ of evidence against Alex? “Having now rested its case against Alex, this effort makes clear to the world that MLB doesn’t have what they said they have. What is perhaps most shocking — and the best evidence of their desperation — is that MLB would do this during the World Series.”
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Lawyer for New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez: MLB Doesn’t Have Enough Evidence for 211 Game Suspension
- Alex Rodriguez Testifies He Bought Evidence from Biogenesis Regarding MLB’s PED Investigation
- Alex Rodriguez’s Lawyer Ready to Appeal Any Suspension Issued by MLB
- New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez’s Lawyer: Randy Levine Told Surgeon to Ensure A-Rod Never Played Again
- New York Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez Diagnosed with Grade 1 Quad Strain, Out 7-10 Days
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/136a