The Seattle Mariners are looking for a new manager to replace the departed Eric Wedge, who didn't agree with the direction of the team and organization going forward, which has sent them looking all over baseball for candidates.
The Mariners knew they wouldn't be players for Joe Girardi, who has a free agent until this past week before re-signing with the Yankees on a four-year deal; however, they are interested in one of Girardi's assistant coaches for their manager job.
"The Mariners haven’t asked the Yankees permission to speak with any of the team’s coaches, but have talked internally about possibly interviewing third base coach Rob Thomson for their managerial opening."
The 50-yea-old Thomson has never been a manager on the major league level, but has been a bench coach for the Yankees under Girardi in the 2008 season before switching to become the third base coach and Tony Pena taking over as bench coach.
During the 2008 season, Thomson did serve as an interim manager for Girardi for three games while the Yankees manager battled sickness; the team went 1-2 during Thomson's time in charge until Girardi came back.
Thomson's contract with the Yankees does expire on November 1, so if the Mariners can't get permission from the Yankees to speak to him, they can simply wait until the following month to speak with him if they really want to interview and potentially hire him to be their next manager for the 2014 season.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Seattle Mariners Won’t Pursue New York Yankees’ Joe Girardi for Vacant Manager Job
- Report: Washington Nationals Interested in New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi; Requesting Permission for Meeting
- New York Yankees Lose to Seattle Mariners 4-1 Behind Jeremy Bonderman
- Report: New York Yankees May Look into Trade for Seattle Mariners Kendrys Morales
- New York Yankees Defeat Seattle Mariners, Andy Pettitte Earns Career Win No. 250
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/12fq