The sweepstakes for manager Joe Girardi is really starting to pick up over the last week and may get very interesting as he is picking up options.
The New York Yankees are trying to retain their manager before his contract officially expires and would be free to speak to any team he desires and this past week, made an offer to Girardi and are waiting on his answer.
The Chicago Cubs are also heavily interested in trying to acquire Girardi after they fired their manager of their last two seasons, Dale Sveum, who had consecutive 90-loss seasons with the Cubs and was relieved of his duties last Monday.
Now, as Dave Kaplan of CSN Chicago is reporting, there is a third team in the mix for the Yankees skipper, as the Washington Nationals are now interested in Girardi and have asked the Yankes permission to talk to him.
The Nationals manager over the last couple of seasons, Davey Johnson, retired at the end of the season and now have a vacancy, which has prompted their general manager Mike Rizzo to inquire on the possibility of bringing the Yankees manager to Washington.
Before the sudden interest in Girardi, many felt that Johnson's bench coach Randy Knorr would be the heir to the skipper job and the next guy to take the Nationals managing job, but apparently, not so fast as Rizzo has other plans, which now include Girardi if he doesn't re-sign with the Yankees.
The rumor last week was that Girardi would give the Yankees an answer on the contract they offered, possibly as early as the beginning of this week, which if it's a no, then it puts the Cubs and Nationals firmly into play and maybe even the Cincinnati Reds, who have just fired Dusty Baker as their manager this week following their loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates in the one-game National League Wild Card playoff.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi Interested in Chicago Cubs Job “If They’re Interested”
- Report: Chicago Cubs Heavily Interested in Hiring New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi
- Report: New York Yankees Make Contract Offer to Manager Joe Girardi; Await Decision
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi “70-30″ on Bronx Return, Could Have Interest in Chicago Cubs Job
- Report: New York Yankees to Offer Manager Joe Girardi New Contract on Wednesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/123h