Bud Selig is having a very hard time trying to get rid of Alex Rodriguez from baseball, and as the hearing to determine the New York Yankees slugger's fate on the 211-game suspension has finally begun this week, the soon-to-be retiring commissioner is finding out that A-Rod has a lot of support all over the place.
With the hearing beginning on Monday in New York City at the offices of the Commissioner, fans of the Yankees and A-Rod have begin to rally outside the building to show their support for the 38-year-old, as he is fighting to have his suspension handed down to him back in August reduced.
One of the more vocal supporters out there has been Fernando Mateo, the president of the Hispanics Across America, has lead the support and rally outside in Manhattan and had more supporters show up on Wednesday to join him. Mateo was seen passing around "Support A-Rod" t-shirts to the fans and Rodriguez supporters.
Mateo was met with some resistance, as he said an MLB security guard this week threw a hot cup of coffee at his chest during the protest this week, although New York City police have said the coffee slipped out of the security guard's hand and no charges were pursued.
On Monday, there were only 10 supporters for A-Rod. On Tuesday, that number grew to about 70. On Wednesday, that number grew to over 150 and as the hearing continues through the week, the number is expected to keep on growing, as the support to see Rodriguez continue his career in New York and with the Yankees, who is signed on for another four seasons.
Rodriguez was suspended 211 games back on August 5 for his alleged involvement in the Miami Biogenesis case in which he reportedly purchased and used performance enhancing drugs, but he appealed MLB's decision and was able to play in 44 games for the Yankees when he returned from the disabled list from the hip surgery that was performed back in January.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- New York Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez Set to Begin Hearing for 211-Game Suspension on Monday; Ready for Fight Vs. MLB
- Report: MLB Rejects New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez’s Attempt for Suspension Settlement, Faces Possible 214-Game Ban
- Lawyer for New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez: MLB Doesn’t Have Enough Evidence for 211 Game Suspension
- New York Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez Calls Return to Bronx, Fans Reception “Awesome”
- Report: New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez Negotiating with MLB for Potential Reduced Suspension Over Lifetime Ban
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/11ww