The status for New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi is up in the air, as he is currently a free agent manager deciding on his future for 2014. The team has made it known though that they want him back.
There has been a lot of speculation about what Girardi would like to do in 2014; whether it be manage the Yankees for a seventh season, take the Chicago Cubs vacancy; which opened up on Monday with the firing of Dale Sveum, or take a year off from baseball and potentially, take a job with FOX Sports as an analyst, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.
Girardi was 85-77 with the Yankees in 2013, but did some of his best managerial work with the team given all of the injuries the team suffered, which ultimately ended up costing them a chance at a fifth straight postseason berth and are sitting at home for only the second time since 1995.
The 48-year-old Girardi though has strong ties to Chicago, as he grew up in the area and came up as a player with the Cubs back in 1989 and some feel that the Cubs manager job has always been "a dream job" of his, so if Girardi were to leave the Bronx, going to Chicago makes the most sense, although FOX might make a nice offer for him to replace the retiring Tim McCarver in the booth too.
With Girardi at the helm, the Yankees have made the postseason in four of the six years with three division titles and a World Series championship in 2009 over the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi Interested in Chicago Cubs Job “If They’re Interested”
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi “70-30″ on Bronx Return, Could Have Interest in Chicago Cubs Job
- Chicago Cubs Fire Manager Dale Sveum; Will Joe Girardi Leave Yankees to Be Next Cubs Manager?
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi Considering Using Mariano Rivera in Center Field Vs. Houston Astros
- New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi Won’t Commit to 2014 Return with Team
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/11uk