The 43-year-old Rivera always shags fly balls during batting practice and has always been known as one of the team's best overall athletes on the team. Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York talked to current Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who said he would absolutely consider using Rivers in center field during the team's final series against the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park this weekend.
"Girardi said he was "absolutely" entertaining the idea of using Mo in CF, but not tonight: "these games are meaningful to Tampa," he tweeted.
Girardi did tell Matthews that he wouldn't use his closer in the outfield in Thursday night's finale and home finale against the Tampa Bay Rays because the game has meaning for Tampa, a team that is currently battling to get into the playoffs as a Wild Card.
Rivera tore his ACL last season while shagging fly balls at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, which landed him on the shelf for most of the 2012 season, but had surgery and vowed to return strong for one final run in the league in 2013, which is what he has done.
In 63 appearances, Rivera is 6-2 with a 2.15 ERA with 44 saves in 62.2 innings for the Yankees this season and was the Most Valuable Player in the 2013 All Star Game, which was held at Citi Field in Queens; home of the New York Mets.
In his career, Rivera is 82-60 with a 2.21 ERA and holds the record for the most saves ever in baseball with 652. In the postseason, Rivera is a career 8-1 with a 0.70 ERA in in 96 appearances with 42 career saves and has won five World Series during his 18 years with the Yankees.
It will be a fitting end if he is allowed to get one chance to play in the Yankees outfield, even if it is for one inning; just another feather in the cap for Rivera, who has literally done everything a professional athlete can do in the sport of baseball and in five years time, will get the call to Cooperstown and into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi “70-30″ on Bronx Return, Could Have Interest in Chicago Cubs Job
- New York Yankees Acquire Houston Astros LF/RF Fernando Martinez for Minor Leaguer
- New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi on Alex Rodriguez: “I Have Him Penciled into the Lineup on Monday”
- Who Could Be Next New York Yankees Manager If Joe Girardi Doesn’t Return to Team in 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/11fh