The New York Yankees were going to have Alfonso Soriano in their cleanup spot and playing left field for Saturday afternoon's game against the Boston Red Sox, but with about 10 minutes to go before the game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi pulled Soriano out of the lineup with a sprained right thumb.
Girardi said that Soriano hurt the thumb while trying to dive for a ball when the team was playing the Baltimore Orioles this week and had been bothering him since.
With Soriano out for Saturday's game, the Yankees shifted Alex Rodriguez to the cleanup spot in the lineup, moved Vernon Wells from right field to left field and Ichiro Suzuki starts in right field.
Soriano had been hitting .252 with 32 home runs and 98 RBI in 2013; in 46 games he had been hitting .251 with 15 home runs and 47 RBI since being acquired back on July 26 from the Chicago Cubs.
Yankee fans can only hope the injury doesn't linger on during the rest of the season, as Soriano has been one of the Yankees best hitters since the summer.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- New York Yankees Acquire Chicago Cubs’ LF Alfonso Soriano, Will Be in Friday Night’s Lineup
- Report: New York Yankees Checked in on Minnesota Twins’ Justin Morneau, Alfonso Soriano Trade Still Likely
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Chicago Cubs OF/DH Alfonso Soriano
- Alfonso Soriano 0-for-5, RBI in Return to New York Yankees, Fall to Tampa Bay Rays 10-6
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10rb