The New York Yankees already lost Derek Jeter for the remainder of the 2013 season due to an ankle injury, and on Thursday night, the Yankees might have suffered another tough blow to the team that is fighting like hell to make the postseason.
Brett Gardner left the game against the Baltimore Orioles after the first inning where he was clutching his side following his at-bat and was replaced in the game by Curtis Granderson. Later on, it was revealed that Gardner suffered an oblique strain and his status for the remainder of the regular season is in jeopardy.
The Yankees still have 15 games left in the regular season, but if they were to lose Gardner for that time, it would be a devastating injury to the Yankees since Gardner is their fastest player and perhaps, best outfielder on the team.
The plan for Gardner is that he will now travel back to New York to get an MRI on the left oblique, which means he will likely not play in the upcoming series at Fenway Park against the Boston Red Sox this weekend.
The 30-year-old Gardner was hitting .273 with eight home runs and 52 RBI with 24 stolen bases in 145 games for the Yankees in 2013 while playing center field and was their lead-off hitter in the lineup.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- New York Yankees’ Derek Jeter’s MRI Status Still Unknown, Awaiting Results
- Phil Hughes to Make Biggest Start of Season for New York Yankees on Thursday Vs. Baltimore Orioles
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter Has Grade 1 Quad Strain, Out Until After All Star Break
- New York Yankees Rally Against Jim Johnson, Take 3 of 4 from Baltimore Orioles in 6-5 Victory
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10oc