With Derek Jeter still on the sidelines due to the ankle injury suffered over the weekend and the possibility that he may not play again in the 2013 season, the New York Yankees made a deal late Tuesday night to add to their infield depth.
According to Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors, the Yankees have acquired shortstop Brendan Ryan from the Seattle Mariners for a player to be named later. With the trade happening after the August 31 waiver trade deadline, Ryan would not be eligible for the postseason roster if the Yankees were to make it to the playoffs.
However, the Yankees aren't thinking that far ahead as they need Ryan's help now to help spell Eduardo Nunez, who is the better hitting shortstop, but Ryan is definitely the superior defender, which is why the Yankees had to make the deal at this point of the season.
In 87 games for the Mariners, the 31-year-old Ryan hit .192 with three home runs and 21 RBI. With the Yankees continuing their four-game series against the Baltimore Orioles, Ryan might make his first start for the Yankees on Wednesday night playing at shortstop with Nunez playing at third since Jor Girardi is considering using Alex Rodriguez as the designated hitter.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Yankees May Look into Trade for Seattle Mariners Kendrys Morales
- New York Yankees Lose to Seattle Mariners 4-1 Behind Jeremy Bonderman
- Report: Associates of New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez Leaked Ryan Braun’s Name to Media in Biogenesis Case
- New York Yankees Defeat Seattle Mariners, Andy Pettitte Earns Career Win No. 250
- New York Yankees SP Andy Pettitte Looking for Career Win No. 250 Vs Seattle Mariners on Saturday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10k7