David Phelps hasn't pitched for the New York Yankees since July 4 when he went on the disabled list with a forearm injury. The team was hopeful of getting him back sometime this summer, but has encountered setbacks in his rehab which has prevented him from returning to the majors.
With Phil Hughes' struggles documented well in the 2013 season, it would have helped the Yankees if Phelps was healthy enough to return off the DL and be inserted back into the rotation and move Hughes to the bullpen, but that isn't the case.
Andy McCullough of the Newark-Star Ledger talked to Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who said that the only activity Phelps has engaged in is playing catch and has not begun to throw any bullpen sessions to see where his arm is at. Because of where the season is at, if Phelps were to return to the Yankees at some point in September, Girardi said that it would be in a reliever role.
Phelps is currently 6-5 with a 5.01 ERA in 12 starts for the Yankees with 82.2 innings and 75 strikeouts before landing on the DL with the forearm injury two months ago.
With Phelps out for the last two months, the Yankees might always just shut Phelps down for the remainder of the season if they feel like he isn't progressing enough from the injury and just get him ready for the 2014 season.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Curtis Granderson Begins Rehab Assignment; David Phelps Makes Second Start for Trenton Thunder
- New York Yankees’ Robinson Cano, Mariano Rivera Selected for 2013 MLB All Star Game; David Robertson in Final Five Vote
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/105f