On Friday night, Derek Jeter continued his quest to get back to the New York Yankees for the final month of the regular season, as he played in his second rehab outing for the Class-AAA Scranton Wilks-Barre RailRiders.
It wasn't a memorable night for Jeter, as he went 0-for-3 with a run scored, a walk and a strikeout for Scranton. But Jeter isn't reporting any pain in his strained calf, which is what landed him on the disabled list back on August 3.
Jeter is expected to play for the Scranton/Wilks-Barre RailRiders on Saturday night, which likely would take him out of the running to play for the Yankees on Sunday afternoon in their series finale at Tropicana Field against the Tampa Bay Rays.
However, the Yankees right now are looking at Monday night; when they travel north of the border to begin a series with the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre; the same team that the Yankees swept at Yankee Stadium this week.
The Yankees are being extra cautious with their 39-year-old captain and shortstop, as he has been on the DL three separate times this season with multiple injuries. He missed the team's first 91 games due to recovering from the fractured ankle he suffered back in October and cracking the same ankle again in March, which delayed his return. After returning to the team for one game on July 11, Jeter suffered a strained quad and was on the DL again until July 28.
Jeter has referred to the season as a "nightmare one," as he has played in all of five games for the Yankees, while hitting .211 with one home run and two RBI.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter to Begin Rehab at Class-AAA Scranton/Wilks-Barre on Saturday
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter Goes 2-for-3, RBI in Rehab Outing for Class-AAA Scranton/Wilks Barre
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter to Begin Rehab Assignment for Class-AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter Takes Batting Practice, Could Be Getting Closer to Return from DL
- New York Yankees’ Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez Take Part in Rehab Games Saturday Night
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zkt