On Tuesday night, Justin Morneau had another solid performance for the Minnesota Twins, as he went 4-for-5 and hit his 15th home run of the season in a 6-3 win over the Detroit Tigers, which has caught the attention of the New York Yankees.
Darren Wolfson of ESPN reported late Tuesday night that the Yankees are back in on Morneau and are interested in trading for him before the August 31 waiver trade deadline. Wolfson wonders if the Yankees are trying to make the Orioles worried enough to make a move themselves for Morneau, although he claims the interest is legit because as Wolfson noted, "it's making the Orioles panic."
"Chased a Morneau update after that performance tonight. Source: "Yankees are back in it… and Baltimore may begin to panic," he tweeted.
Morneau is currently hitting .267 with 15 home runs and 72 RBI for Minnesota and is in the final year of his contract, so with not that much remaining money left on his deal, he could be an interesting trade piece for the Yankees to acquire to help their lineup that has seen the Bombers play much better as of late.
The Yankees are only seven games back of the first place Boston Red Sox in the American League East, but are just one game behind the Orioles in the division race; one that has seen the Yankees catch major ground by winning nine of their last 11 games.
The Orioles are reported to have interest in Morneau too, but their interest is considered "lukewarm" by experts. Plus, if Baltimore really wanted to land Morneau, they could have claimed him off waivers last week, but chose not to.
The Yankees do have two first basemen already on the roster with Lyle Overbay and the newly acquired Mark Reynolds, but adding Morneau's bat could only help a team looking to make a late surge to the postseason, as they could always use him in the designated hitter spot if needed.
With 10 days left until the deadline, it should be very interesting to see if the Yankees decide to pick up their pursuit of Morneau with his bat heating up and put him into a lineup that has been red hot in the month of August.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.
- Report: New York Yankees Checked in on Minnesota Twins’ Justin Morneau, Alfonso Soriano Trade Still Likely
- Minnesota Twins 1B Justin Morneau Clears Waivers, New York Yankees Pass on Claiming Slugger
- Report: New York Yankees One of Lead Teams Interested in Miami Marlins’ SP Ricky Nolasco
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Chicago Cubs OF/DH Alfonso Soriano
- Report: New York Yankees Interested in Milwaukee Brewers 3B Aramis Ramirez
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zeg