He started the year on the DL recovering from the fractured ankle he suffered last October in the 2012 ALCS and didn't make his debut until July 11 against the Kansas City Royals at Yankee Stadium; a game where he went 1-for-4, but suffered a Grade 1 quad strain running out a ground ball, an injury that put him back on the sidelines until July 28.
On that Sunday afternoon game against the Tampa Bay Rays, Jeter went 2-for-4 and hit his first home run of the season at Yankee Stadium, played in three more games and again, landed on the DL with a strained calf on August 3; which is where he has stayed since.
On Thursday, the Yankees have announced that Jeter will begin his latest rehab assignment, which will be at Class-AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and will play five innings for the RailRiders. Meredith Marakovits of the YES Network talked to Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who said the plan is to get Jeter to play the five innings in the field at shortstop.
"Girardi said plan is for Jeter to play 5 innings in field tomorrow," she tweeted.
The 39-year-old Jeter is currently hitting .211 with one home run and two RBI and three runs scored in the limited time he has played with the Yankees. The team has used Eduardo Nunez and Jayson Nix at shortstop while Jeter has been out with injuries.
Jeter has missed 120 games for the Yankees in 2013, but with the team still in striking distance for the postseason, they hope the captain can help give them another spark in the offense for late August and the rest of September.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.
- New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter to Begin Rehab at Class-AAA Scranton/Wilks-Barre on Saturday
- New York Yankees’ 3B Alex Rodriguez Will Begin Rehab Assignment at Class-A Charleston on Tuesday
- New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez Goes 1-for-4 for Class-AAA Scranton/Wilks-Barre
- New York Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez Goes 0-for-4 for Class-AAA Scranton/Wilks-Barre on Saturday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zg0