While there is a tendency in spring training to get everyday starters rest, it seems to be all the more important for a veteran-laden Yankees ball club. With that being said, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com tweets that third baseman Kevin Youkilis will not be in the lineup today when the Yankees visit the Philadelphia Phillies. Moreover, Youkilis plans to be sidelined for a few days with a sore left oblique, as per Yankees manager Joe Girardi,
“Youkilis scratched from Yankees lineup (left oblique). Will be reevaluated in a couple of days, Girardi said."
“Kevin Youkilis said his injury felt like a cramp, not a strain. Wanted to play today but Yanks are being cautious.”
Coming off an injury-laden 2012 season, which saw Youkilis split time between his long-time Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox, this might not be the start the 33-year-old had in mind. However, it simply appears to be cautious protocol, and could very well be much ado about nothing.
"The Greek God of Walks," and only a couple of years removed from being a consistent .300 hitter, "Youk" could be in line for a bounce-back season.
- Be sure to "like" Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter, and +1 Yankees 101 on Google+.
- New York Yankees Third Baseman Kevin Youkilis: “I’ll Always Be a Red Sox”
- Yankees Hitting Coach Kevin Long Getting to Work Early; Starting with Kevin Youkilis
- Eight Most Interesting Yankees Entering 2013: No. 7 Kevin Youkilis
- New York Yankees Contact Free Agent Kevin Youkilis
- A Fresh Start and New Level of Importance for Kevin Youkilis with Alex Rodriguez Out for Extended Period of Time
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qim