As one of the glaring storylines of this past offseason has been Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner's aspiration to reduce payroll, Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com reports that this stance might be out the door,
“As another source told me on Wednesday, "This is the first time since George died that it appears a Steinbrenner is actually running the Yankees.'' ”
With the looming free agency of superstar second baseman Robinson Cano and the possibility of reduced payroll not being as beneficial as previously speculated, it appears Steinbrenner might be talking himself out of this edict and getting ready to "break the bank,"
“According to the proverbial insider with knowledge, Hal was "freaked out'' by the negative reaction from Yankees fans at what they perceived to be a trend toward "cheapness'' from a club that had always been known for wild extravagance.”
While Steinbrenner's comments regarding Cano reflects a "whatever it takes" approach, it's hard to truly speculate whether there is truth to Steinbrenner ditching his cost-cutting vision. However, in Steinbrenner's defense, while there's a devoid of power at catcher that leaves fans scratching their heads, the rest of this past offseason's free agent class really was not conducive to what the Yankees were looking for.
Furthermore, with the aforementioned aggressiveness towards trying to lock up Cano long-term, and for that matter, before the slugger even hits free agency, Steinbrenner would be breaking a long-time organizational policy of avoiding extension talk before said player's current contract is expired.
Needless to say, while the owner has yet to say anything directly refuting that he is looking to ditch his reduced payroll edict, actions speak louder than words, and the owner's recent actions show he might be more interested in continuing a winning tradition rather than cost-cutting.
- Be sure to "like" Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter, and +1 Yankees 101 on Google+.
- Enter for a chance to win a pair of free Yankees tickets, courtesy of Sports Media 101. Easy to follow process.
- Are the Yankees Miscalculating the Potential Gain of a Reduced Payroll?
- New York Yankees Owner Hal Steinbrenner to Avoid Letting Cano Test Free Agency?
- New York Yankees Owner Hal Steinbrenner: Robinson Cano’s Long-Term Future Discussed
- New York Yankees Owner Hal Steinbrenner Satisfied with Offseason Transactions
- Hal Steinbrenner: “We Will Always Field a Championship-Caliber Team”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qbc