The versatile Powe fell head-first on the ice and needed help as he gingerly skated off the ice to be examined. He never returned to the game and the Rangers announced today that Powe would be placed on IR with a concussion.
Powe was acquired a few weeks ago in a deal with the Minnesota Wild that send enforcer Mike Rupp to Minnesota. The Rangers liked Powe's versatility and his defensive instincts — he was second in the NHL last season in blocked shots.
Powe was an asset on the team's penalty kill, but the Rangers are going to have to move on without him for now.
The team recalled Chris Kreider the other night, likely as a precautionary measure as it wasn't known whether or not Rick Nash would suit up vs. the Caps, but Kreider should slot into Powe's position on the depth chart for Tuesday's game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- How Darroll Powe Fits the New York Rangers
- New York Rangers Trade Mike Rupp to Minnesota Wild for Darroll Powe
- New York Rangers Take on Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals
- New York Rangers Call up JT Miller from AHL
- New York Rangers’ Chris Kreider OK After Hit from Brooks Oripk
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/q6y