The New York Mets (65-74) evened up their series with the Miami Marlins (67-70) Tuesday night with an 8-6 win at Marlins Park. The Mets pounded out sixteen hits, including three from David Wright, who had his first three-hit game since he went 4-for-4 on July 11.
- Juan Lagares was a catalyst in the leadoff spot, going 4-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI. Lagares drove home Wilmer Flores twice on the night, first on a second inning double and later on a fourth inning single.
- The Marlins biggest inning came in the third, as Donovan Solano would single home Christian Yelich and later score on a 409-foot blast from Giancarlo Stanton, his NL leading 35th of the season.
- Lucas Duda picked up his team leading 77th RBI of the season, chipping in with a RBI single in the fourth that scored Wright.
- Jon Niese (W, 8-10) picked up the victory, despite allowing all six Marlins runs on ten hits in six innings of work. He also struck out four and walked none. Carlos Torres (HLD, 6), Jeurys Familia (HLD, 17) and Jenrry Mejia (SV, 22) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to secure the win.
- Marlins starter Brad Penny (L, 1-1) took the loss, allowing four runs (all earned) on seven hits in just three innings of work. He also walked one and struck out two.
Player of the Game
- Wright's offensive contributions have been sorely missed in recent weeks and proved to be the difference on Tuesday. Wright singled home Juan Lagares to open the scoring in the first inning, ground-rule doubled home Lagres again in the fourth and hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth that brought home Niese for the eighth and final Met run. Wright finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored.
What's on Deck
The Mets and Marlins conclude their series Wednesday Night at Marlins Park. Jacob deGrom (7-6, 2.94) takes on Tom Koehler (9-9, 3.79) with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 PM.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Baseball, Brad Penny, David Wright, Donovan Solano, Giancarlo Stanton, Jenrry Mejia, Jon Niese, Juan Lagares, Lucas Duda, Marlins Park, Miami Marlins, MLB, New York, New York Mets, Wilmer Flores
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1f7n