The New York Mets (62-70) defeated the Atlanta Braves (68-64) in their series opener by a score of 3-2 Tuesday night at Citi Field. Mets centerfielder Juan Lagares put on a show with his glove while also hitting the game-winning home run, propelling Dillon Gee to his first win since July 9.
- Ruben Tejada came through for the second straight game, singling home Travis d'Arnaud to put the Mets ahead 1-0 in the second inning. Tejada finished the game 1-for-3 with the RBI and a strikeout.
- Justin Upton tied the game in the fourth with a RBI double that brought home Freddie Freeman. Upton would go on to lead the Braves with a 3-for-3 night and would score in the seventh on a RBI single from Tommy La Stella.
- Juan Lagares put the Mets ahead for good in the home half of the fourth with a two run shot, his fourth of the season that once again brought home d'Arnaud. He also was a vaccum in the field, recording a team-high seven putouts in center.
- All three Met runs came off Braves starter Alex Wood (L, 9-10) who allowed five hits and a walk with six strikeouts. Jordan Walden tossed a 1-2-3 eighth as the Braves retired the final fifteen Met batters of the ballgame.
- Dillon Gee (W, 5-6) was in control for 6 2/3 innings, allowing just two runs on six hits and two walks while also striking out one. Jeurys Familia (HLD, 15) and Jenrry Mejia (SV, 19) combined for the final seven outs, each allowing just one hit a piece to secure the win.
Player of the Game
Lagares takes home PotG honors for his performance in the field, as well as his 2-for-3 night at the plate that lifted the Mets in this one.
What's on Deck
The NL East rivals continue their three game series Wednesday at Citi Field when Zack Wheeler (9-8, 3.48) takes on Julio Teheran (12-9, 2.96) in what should be a fantastic pitching matchup. First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 PM.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Duda’s Homers Lift Mets Over Reds 4-3
- Eric Young Jr., Mets, Sprint to 6-4 Win Over Braves
- Juan Lagares Shines as New York Mets Defeat Washington Nationals 5-2
- New York Mets Win Fourth Consecutive Game with 4-1 Win Over Atlanta Braves
- New York Mets Need to Play Juan Lagares Every Day
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1eyu