The New York Mets (59-67) have been anemic on offense since the All Star Break. The last week has been a particular struggle, as the Mets went 2-5 in their last home stand and recorded only four hits a night in their last five games. The Mets really need to get their bats going if they want to push towards .500, but the task won't be any easier going forward. The Mets will have to try and improve their offensive results tonight against one of the best pitching teams in baseball, the Oakland A's (73-51). The Mets and A's will open a brief two game set in Oakland tonight, with first pitch at O.Co Coliseum scheduled for 10:05 pm.
The A's have dramatically altered their team since they last saw the Mets in June. The A's have made a pair of deals to improve their pitching staff since then, the first of which involved acquiring Jeff Samardzjia and Jason Hammel from the Chicago Cubs for a package of players headlined by shortstop prospect Addison Russell on July 5th. The second deal was consummated on July 31st, which saw them swap cleanup hitter Yoenis Cespedes to the Boston Red Sox for lefty ace Jon Lester and outfielder Jonny Gomes. The deals were made to strengthen Oakland for October, but the A's are slumping right now, having dropped five in a row and seven out of eight.
The Mets will send righty Dillon Gee (4-5, 3.69 ERA) to the mound. Gee suffered a loss in his last outing, allowing four runs in six innings against the Washington Nationals last Thursday. The A's will counter with former Met Scott Kazmir (13-5, 2.78 ERA). Kazmir took a loss in his last outing, allowing three runs in seven innings against the Kansas City Royals last Wednesday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- CF Juan Lagares
- RF Curtis Granderson
- 3B David Wright
- 1B Lucas Duda
- DH Travis d'Arnaud
- LF Eric Campbell
- 2B Wilmer Flores
- SS Ruben Tejada
- C Anthony Recker
- The A's and Mets split a two game set at Citi Field back in June.
- The Mets rocked Kazmir at Citi Field on June 24th for seven runs in three innings.
- The Mets will give second baseman Daniel Murphy a day off today against Kazmir. Wilmer Flores moves over to second while Ruben Tejada plays shortstop.
- The Mets have not visited O.Co Coliseum since 2005. In that series, the A's won two out of three.
- The Mets officially placed Bartolo Colon on the bereavement list today after his mother passed away last night. Gonzalez Germen will join the Mets and will be available out of the bullpen tonight.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Bartolo Colon, Baseball, Daniel Murphy, Dillon Gee, Gonzalez Germen, MLB, New York, New York Mets, O.Co Coliseum, Oakland A's, Ruben Tejada, Scott Kazmir, Wilmer Flores
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1epr