Philadelphia-It was a milestone night for Bartolo Colon and the New York Mets (55-61), but the ride was a bit bumpy to get there. The Mets raced out to a 5-0 lead over the Philadelphia Phillies (52-64), but had to hang on for dear life as the Phillies scored three runs in the ninth inning. The Mets would hang on for a 5-4 win, allowing Colon to record his 200th career victory.
The Mets had chances against A.J. Burnett (L, 6-12) in the first and third, but they finally broke through in the fourth. After getting the first two men on, Juan Lagares doubled to open the scoring, giving the Mets a 1-0 lead. Wilmer Flores followed with an RBI single of his own to make it 2-0. Two batters later, Curtis Granderson added an RBI single. Daniel Murphy did the same, giving the Mets a 4-0 lead. The Mets added to that lead in the top of the fifth when Travis d'Arnaud hit a solo home run off of Burnett. d'Arnaud's eighth home run of the year put the Mets up 5-0.
That lead looked good for Colon (W, 11-9), who cruised through eight innings. Colon only gave up one run over that span, which came on a solo shot from Marlon Byrd in the bottom of the seventh inning. Colon departed after eight and handed a four run lead to lefty Dana Eveland, who was brought on to face lefties Chase Utley and Ryan Howard. Eveland got neither out, forcing Mets' skipper Terry Collins to summon Jenrry Mejia for a save chance. Mejia didn't get off to a good start as a single by Byrd loaded the bases. Grady Sizemore doubled home two runs to cut the Phillies' deficit to 5-3. After finally recording the first out, Mejia gave up an RBI groundout, plating Byrd to cut the lead to 5-4. Mejia recovered to record the final out to pick up his 17th save of the year and preserve Colon's 200th victory.
Player of the Game:
Today's Player of the Game Award goes to Mets' starting pitcher Bartolo Colon, who tossed eight innings of one run ball to record his 200th career win.
Post Game Notes:
- Five different Mets recorded two hits.
- Utley and Marlon Byrd recorded three hits a piece for Philadelphia.
- The Mets did well in clutch situations, going 5-10 with runners in scoring position.
- After the game, the Mets designated Chris Young for assignment. Matt den Dekker
The Mets and Phillies will continue their series tomorrow night. Dillon Gee (4-4, 3.73 ERA) and Cole Hamels (6-6, 2.42 ERA) will be the starting pitchers. First pitch at Citizen's Bank Park is scheduled for 7:05 pm.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Bartolo Colon Flirts with Perfection as New York Mets Win 3-2
- Strong Effort from Bartolo Colon Helps New York Mets Salvage Finale
- Bartolo Colon Delivers Strong Outing as New York Mets Win Series with Pittsburgh Pirates
- Texas Rangers Beat up Bartolo Colon, New York Mets to Even Series
- Bartolo Colon Strong as New York Mets Win 4-1
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ebs