The American League All-Stars defeated the National League All-Stars in the 2014 MLB All-Star Game by a score of 5-3 Tuesday night at Target Field in Minneapolis. The AL got out to an early lead and by the fifth inning had scored the decisive run, as the AL bullpen shut down the NL offense, scattering just four hits over the game's final five innings.
- The AL jumped out to an early lead against NL starter Adam Wainwright, with Derek Jeter leading off his final All-Star Game with a double, before scoring on a Mike Trout RBI triple. Miguel Cabrera extended the lead to 3-0 with a two-run jack to deep left just two batters later.
- The lead wouldn't hold up however, as the NL got a pair of RBI doubles in the second, first from Chase Utley that scored Aramis Ramirez, before Utley scored himself on a Jonathan Lucroy two-bagger.
- Lucroy, who started at catcher for the NL, doubled again in the fourth to tie the game at 3, this time driving home Dee Gordon.
- Trout struck again in the fifth, doubling to deep left and scoring Derek Norris to put the AL ahead by one. Jose Altuve would later extend the lead to 5-3 with a sacrifice fly that plated Alexei Ramirez.
- Daniel Murphy, the Mets lone representative in the game, entered the game as a defensive replacement in the middle of the seventh inning. Murph got his first at-bat in the eighth, but struck out swinging against Fernando Rodney.
What's on Deck
- The MLB will take Wednesday and Thursday off before kicking off the unofficial second half of the season Friday night with a full slate of games. The Mets will open up a West Coast swing in San Diego as Bartolo Colon (8-8, 3.99) takes on Ian Kennedy (7-9, 3.47) at Petco Park with first pitch set for 10:10 PM EST.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Mets 101 Game Preview: National League at American League
- Minor League Mondays: Gavin Cecchini Having All Star Season with Savannah Sand Gnats
- Daniel Murphy Sole Representative for New York Mets at All Star Game
- Minor League Mondays: Vic Black Making Case for Major League Bullpen
- Mets 101 Met of the Month, May 2014: David Wright
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dfh