The New York Mets are poised to wrap up the first half of their season on a very high note. The Mets (44-50) have won seven of their first nine games on this 10 game home stand, and have changed the attitude surrounding the team just 10 days ago. Instead of a negative march to oblivion, the Mets have generated some optimism about their team with their strong play over the last two weeks. The Mets will look to keep building that optimism by sweeping their series with the Miami Marlins (44-49) this afternoon. First pitch for the first half finale is scheduled for 1:10 pm.
The Mets send right hander Jacob deGrom (2-5, 3.38 ERA) to the mound. deGrom picked up a win in his last time out, striking out 11 batters over seven shutout innings against the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday. The Marlins will counter with lefty Brad Hand (0-1, 5.09 ERA). Hand took a no decision in his last start, pitching 6.1 scoreless innings against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- RF Curtis Granderson
- 2B Eric Campbell
- 3B David Wright
- 1B Lucas Duda
- CF Juan Lagares
- LF Chris Young
- C Anthony Recker
- SS Ruben Tejada
- SP Jacob deGrom
- As hinted yesterday, Daniel Murphy will get a day off before heading to the All Star Game festivities tomorrow. Eric Campbell will play second base for the first time in his big league career and hit second.
- Vic Black is unavailable out of the bullpen today according to manager Terry Collins.
- Chris Young gets rewarded for his pinch hit homer yesterday with a start against the lefty Hand. Young will play left field and bat sixth.
- Ruben Tejada is hitting .299 since June 20th.
- With Murphy getting a day off, Lucas Duda gets a rare start against a left hander. Duda will bat in his customary cleanup spot.
- The Mets can move into third place in the division with a win today.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dba