The New York Mets (42-50) dropped the finale of their four-game series with the Atlanta Braves (50-42) Thursday night at Citi Field by a score of 3-1. The Mets were primed for their first four-game sweep of the Bravos in 25 years but just couldn't find their bats in this one, compiling just five hits off three Atlanta pitchers.
- The Braves got to Bartolo Colon early in this one, getting a RBI double from Freddie Freeman to open the scoring, driving home Andrelton Simmons, followed up by a Jason Heyward RBI single that scored Freeman. Colon now has allowed eighteen first inning runs, an average of one run per start and his inability to get off to a fast start hurt the Mets again on Thursday.
- Colon (L, 8-8) would allow just one more run on the night, conceding a run on a third inning double play ball off the bat of Justin Upton that scored Simmons. The Veteran would plow through eight innings, allowing three runs (all earned) on ten hits while striking out seven. He also did not walk any batters. Carlos Torres would toss a scoreless ninth, walking just one to keep the Mets within striking distance.
- The Mets got their lone run on a RBI single from David Wright in the third, that plated Eric Young Jr. The RBI was Wright's team leading 44th of the season.
- Aaron Harang (W, 9-6) extended his win streak to four with an impressive seven inning outing, allowing the one run on four hits and four walks. He also struck out two.
- Jordan Walden (HLD, 11) and Craig Kimbrel (SV, 28) sealed the deal for the Braves, with Kimbrel recording the final four outs in succession for the save.
What's on Deck
The Mets now look forward to welcoming another NL East opponent to Citi Field, as the Miami Marlins come to Flushing for three this weekend. Zack Wheeler (4-8, 4.07) faces Henderson Alvarez (6-3, 2.27) in the opener, set for 7:10 PM Friday night.Tags: Aaron Harang, Andrelton Simmons, Atlanta Braves, Bartolo Colon, Baseball, Citi Field, Craig Kimbrel, David Wright, Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, MLB, New York, New York Mets
- Braves Defeat Mets 3-1, Complete Sweep
- Mets Avoid Sweep, Take Finale from Dodgers 5-3
- Bartolo Colon Comes Back to Earth as New York Mets Drop Series Finale
- Strong Effort from Bartolo Colon Helps New York Mets Salvage Finale
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1d2h