The New York Mets (33-40) shutout the Miami Marlins (36-36) in their series opener Thursday night at Marlins Park by a score of 1-0. Zack Wheeler showed off his dominating ability, three-hitting the Marlins for his first career MLB shutout in a true pitchers duel in front of a crowd of 20,334.
- Wheeler (W, 3-7) has stuggled at times this season with his pitch count, but managed 111 pitches over the nine innings to secure the win. He held the Marlins to just four baserunners all night, on three hits and a walk, while also striking out eight, his third highest K total of the season.
- David Wright provided the Mets with their only run, belting a solo homer (6) in the first inning for the only run of the game. It was also Wright's club-leading 36th RBI of the season.
- Top prospect Andrew Heaney (L, 0-1) was excellent in his debut, allowing just the one run on four hits on the night. He also struck out three and walked just one over six innings of work.
- Daniel Murphy led the Mets with a 2-for-4 performance, with Wright, Eric Young Jr., Curtis Granderson and Chris Young each picking up a hit each.
- Casey McGehee, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Reed Johnson provided all the offense for the Marlins, each with a hit a piece.
What's on Deck
- The Mets and Marlins continue their four-game series Friday night at Marlins Park when Daisuke Matsuzaka (3-0, 2.81) takes on Henderson Alvarez (3-3, 2.56). First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 PM.
- Alvarez Tosses Shutout, Marlins Drop Mets 3-0
- Dillon Gee Shines as New York Mets Shutout Miami Marlins 4-0
- Wheeler Brilliant as Mets Top Phillies 4-1
- Mejia, Mets Shutout Cardinals 2-0 in Series Opener
- Yankees Shutout Mets 1-0 in Subway Finale
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c8d