After a much needed day off, the New York Mets (28-35) are back in action. The Mets had a miserable 11 game road trip that started out well, with the team winning four of five in Philadelphia. The Mets, however, didn't win a game on the rest of the trip. After getting swept by the Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants, the Mets enter tonight's contest on a six game losing streak.
The Mets come home to another challenge as they welcome the Milwaukee Brewers to town to kick off a three game set. The Brewers have been one of baseball's bigger surprises in 2014, checking into today's action with a record of 38-26, the second best mark in the National League. The Brewers are five games ahead of the St. Louis Cardinals for first place in the National League Central, and have been powered by a dynamic offense. Former Met Carlos Gomez is a centerpiece of the Milwaukee lineup, hitting .307 with 12 home runs, 35 RBI's, and 11 stolen bases in the early going. Another former Met who is thriving in Milwaukee is closer Francisco Rodriguez, who has racked up 19 saves and pitched to a tiny 2.08 ERA.
The Brewers will send right hander Marco Estrada (5-2, 4.19 ERA) to the mound tonight. Estrada took a no decision in his last time out after allowing four runs in six innings against the Minnesota Twins. The Mets will counter with right hander Daisuke Matsuzaka (2-0, 3.21 ERA). Matsuzaka struggled in his return to the rotation his last time out, giving up four runs in 4.1 innings against the Chicago Cubs. First pitch for tonight's game is scheduled for 7:10 pm at Citi Field.
New York Mets Lineup:
- SS Ruben Tejada
- 2B Daniel Murphy
- 3B David Wright
- RF Curtis Granderson
- LF Chris Young
- 1B Lucas Duda
- C Taylor Teagarden
- CF Matt den Dekker
- SP Daisuke Matsuzaka
- The Brewers went 4-3 against the Mets in 2013, including a 3-1 mark at Citi Field.
- Estrada has struggled against the Mets, going 0-1 with a 6.29 ERA in his career.
- Ruben Tejada moves to the leadoff spot tonight.
- Taylor Teagarden will make his Mets debut tonight and hit seventh.
- Mets 101 Game Preview: New York Mets at Chicago Cubs
- Mets 101 Game Preview: New York Mets at Philadelphia Phillies
- Mets 101 Game Preview: New York Mets at Arizona Diamondbacks
- Mets 101 Game Preview: Atlanta Braves at New York Mets
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bwq