After two consecutive 14 inning marathons, the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies are hoping for a much quicker game this afternoon. The Mets (26-29) and Phillies (24-29) have played the equivalent of four games in three days thanks to the extra inning madness of the last two nights. The Phillies picked up a win in the first 14 inning affair Friday night, and the Mets returned the favor last night. The Mets have now won two of the first three games in this five game set, and will look to win the series this afternoon. First pitch at Citizen's Bank Park is scheduled for 1:35 pm.
It will be a battle of southpaws on the mound this afternoon, as Jonathon Niese (3-3, 2.74 ERA) and Cole Hamels (1-3, 4.43 ERA) square off for the third time this season. Niese is coming off a no decision in his last outing, allowing two runs in 5.2 innings against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Tuesday. Hamels took a loss in his last time out, allowing four runs over seven innings in a loss to the Colorado Rockies.
New York Mets Lineup:
- CF Juan Lagares
- 2B Daniel Murphy
- 3B David Wright
- 1B Eric Campbell
- LF Chris Young
- RF Curtis Granderson
- SS Ruben Tejada
- C Travis d'Arnaud
- SP Jonathon Niese
- Dana Eveland is now in the Mets' bullpen after being added to the roster last night. Matt den Dekker has been demoted to Las Vegas to make room for the extra reliever on the roster.
- After missing last night's game with a back issue, Juan Lagares is back in the lineup. He will lead off and play center field.
- The Mets went with an extremely right handed lineup against Hamels, with only Curtis Granderson and Daniel Murphy as lefties.
- Eric Campbell will play first base today and bat sixth.
- The Mets have won both Niese-Hamels matchups so far this season.
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bke