After losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates (23-27) 5-3 yesterday, heads rolled for the New York Mets (22-28). Yesterday's losing pitcher, Jose Valverde, is no longer a member of the Mets after being released minutes after the game. The same goes for Dave Hudgens, who was relieved of his duties as hitting coach and replaced with Lamar Johnson. After the fireworks from the Memorial Day Massacre over with, the Mets will try and focus attention back on the field by bouncing back with a win against the Pirates tonight. First pitch at Citi Field is scheduled for 7:10 pm.
The Mets will turn to their most reliable starter this season, lefty Jonathon Niese (3-3, 2.70 ERA). Niese is coming off a win in his last time out against the Los Angeles Dodgers, allowing three runs over seven innings but getting enough run support to record his third win of 2014. The Pirates will counter with right hander Edinson Volquez (2-4, 4.27 ERA). Volquez picked up a win his last time out, yielding one run over six innings in a 3-1 victory over the Washington Nationals.
New York Mets Lineup:
- CF Juan Lagares
- 2B Daniel Murphy
- 3B David Wright
- LF Curtis Granderson
- RF Bobby Abreu
- 1B Lucas Duda
- C Anthony Recker
- SS Ruben Tejada
- SP Jonathon Niese
- The Mets are 2-5 so far on their nine game home stand.
- Vic Black is racking up his frequent flier miles, as he has been recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas to take Jose Valverde's spot on the roster.
- Today marks Lamar Johnson's first day as Mets hitting coach.
- Mets 101 Game Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates at New York Mets
- Breaking News: New York Mets Deal Ike Davis to Pittsburgh Pirates
- Mets 101 Game Preview: New York Mets at Washington Nationals
- Mets 101 Game Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks at New York Mets
- Mets 101 Game Preview: Atlanta Braves at New York Mets
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1be8