The New York Mets (20-24) dropped their series opener to the Los Angeles Dodgers (24-22) Tuesday night by a score of 9-4 at Citi Field. Led by Adrian Gonzalez and Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles pounded out fifteen hits including three a piece from Gonzalez and Puig, en route to the victory.
With the game tied at one going into the fifth inning, the Dodgers broke the game open, first on a two-run homer by Gonzalez, his eleventh of the season, that also scored Puig. They continued to rally on RBI singles from Carl Crawford and Juan Uribe, building the lead to 5-1. Mets starter Rafael Montero (L, 0-2) failed to make it out of the fifth in his second MLB start and was charged with five runs on seven hits while walking and striking out four in 4.1 innings.
The Dodgers would extend the lead to 6-1 in the sixth, as once again Gonzalez singled home Puig, this time off Carlos Torres. The Amazins would answer in the bottom half of the frame, homering twice as Curtis Granderson (6) hit a solo shot and Lucas Duda (5) followed up with a two-run blast to close the gap to 6-4. That would chase Los Angeles' starter Josh Beckett (W, 2-1) from the game, leaving the veteran with a line of four runs allowed on eight hits and four walks over five-plus innings of work. He also struck out six.
With Jose Valverde on to start the ninth, the Dodgers put together a big ninth inning to put the ballgame out of reach for the Mets. Crawford came around to score on a fielders choice as Andre Ethier beat out a potential double play. That opened the door as Dee Gordon and Puig both followed up with RBI singles to extend the lead to 9-4. The Mets went in order in the ninth to end the ballgame as they dropped their second in a row and thirteenth out of eighteen games in May.
The series will continue Wednesday night at Citi Field as Hyun-jin Ryu (3-2, 3.00) faces Jacob deGrom (0-1, 1.29). First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 PM.
- The Mets got another solid relief outing out of Daisuke Matsuzaka, who tossed 1.2 innings of scoreless relief to keep the Mets close before the wheels fell off in the ninth.
- Former Met Justin Turner pinch-ran and scored in the ninth inning and stayed on to play third base to finish the game. It was Turner's first game back at Citi Field after signing with LA this Winter.
- Puig and Gonzalez combined to go 6-for-8 with three RBI and three runs scored a piece to lead the Dodgers to the win. Matt Kemp, Crawford and Uribe each had two hits as well.
- J.P. Howell (HLD, 9), Chris Withrow (HLD, 6), Brian Wilson (HLD, 5) and Kenley Jansen combined for four scoreless innings of relief to seal the win for LA.
- Mets 101 Game Preview: Los Angeles Dodgers at New York Mets
- Jonathon Niese Leads New York Mets to 3-2 Victory Over St. Louis Cardinals
- New York Mets Drop Series Finale to Washington Nationals 6-3
- Rockies Light up Colon, Defeat Mets 7-4
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b7a