The New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies played a lot of baseball in their three game series. After playing for nearly five hours on Friday night, the two teams sat through a 40 minute rain delay and played another three hours and 16 minutes last night. It was fitting, then, that the Mets and Phillies went to extra innings on Mother's Day. The Mets finally got in the win column, however, by rallying to tie it in the ninth and winning in the 11th on an RBI single from Ruben Tejada.
The Mets grabbed a 1-0 lead against Cole Hamels in the top of the 1st, but they let him off the hook by stranding two runners. The Phillies tied the game in the top of the second with an RBI double from Cody Asche, and added two more in the fourth to grab a 3-1 lead. That lead looked like plenty for Hamels, who cruised through seven innings and allowed only one run on seven hits while walking three and striking out 10. The Phillies would tack on an insurance run in the top of the ninth against Jose Valverde to make it 4-1.
The Mets rallied, however, against Antonio Bastardo. Eric Young Jr started the inning with a double to right, and Daniel Murphy followed with a homer to the right field bullpen to cut the lead to 4-3. After David Wright struck out, Chris Young doubled to left to put the tying run in scoring position. Pinch hitter Bobby Abreu singled off of Chase Utley's glove to move Young to third, and Juan Lagares hit a fielder's choice to bring him home to tie the game.
The Mets couldn't win it, however, in the ninth so the game went to extra innings. After a scoreless tenth, the Mets were then able to load the bases in the bottom of the 11th against Jeff Manship (1-1, 5.40 ERA). Ruben Tejada was then able to play the hero, delivering a single to left field to bring home Chris Young and snap the Mets' five game losing streak.
Player of the Game:
Today's Player of the Game award goes to second baseman Daniel Murphy. Murphy went 3 for 4 with a run scored, a homer, two RBI's, and two walks. Murphy's home run in the bottom of the ninth helped ignite the Mets' late rally.
Post Game Notes:
- Murphy and Eric Young Jr combined for six hits, three runs scored, a home run, two RBI's, and two stolen bases.
- Scott Rice (1-1, 6.00 ERA) picked up the win in relief for the Mets.
- Eric Campbell picked up his first career base hit in the fourth inning.
- Tejada, who went 2 for 4 with two walks and the game winning RBI, started because Wilmer Flores was ill.
After snapping their losing streak, the Mets (17-19) will kick off the annual Subway Series this week against the New York Yankees. The series will start at Yankee Stadium tomorrow night at 7:05 pm. The pitching matchup will be a battle of veterans as Bartolo Colon (2-5, 5.36 ERA) and Hiroki Kuroda (2-3, 4.43 ERA) take the mound.
- Late Rally Comes up Short in 4-3 Loss for New York Mets
- Los Angeles Angels Need Extra Innings to Defeat New York Mets 5-4
- Miami Marlins Rally to Defeat New York Mets 4-3
- New York Mets’ Bullpen Implodes in Extra Inning Loss to Washington Nationals
- New York Mets Defeat Atlanta Braves 4-3 in 14 Innings
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1awx