The New York Mets (16-19) have fallen on hard times since the calendar flipped to May. The Mets finished April with a sterling 15-11 mark, but have gone only 1-8 so far in May. The Mets have seen pretty much everything go wrong in May, with the offense eventually evaporating and the bullpen continuing to blow late leads. The Mets are now on a five game losing streak as well, which has knocked the Mets from second place in the National League East all the way down to last place.
The last two losses have come at the hands of the Philadelphia Phillies (17-18), who have won the first two games of the three game set at Citi Field by one run a piece. The latest disappointment for the Mets came last night, as the Phillies got a run in the top of the ninth off of Mets' closer Kyle Farnsworth to steal a 5-4 victory. The Phillies are trying to get back to the .500 mark and complete the sweep this afternoon at 1:10 pm in a Mother's Day matinee.
The Mets will send lefty Jonathon Niese (2-2, 1.82 ERA) to the mound today. Niese has been the Mets' best pitcher so far this season, but he has been the victim of poor run support and a bad bullpen. This was the case his last time out, when he threw seven shutout innings against the Miami Marlins but received a no decision after the Mets' bullpen coughed up the lead. The Phillies will counter with lefty Cole Hamels (0-2, 7.02 ERA), who the Mets have hammered historically.
New York Mets Lineup:
- LF Eric Young Jr
- 2B Daniel Murphy
- 3B David Wright
- RF Chris Young
- 1B Eric Campbell
- CF Juan Lagares
- C Anthony Recker
- SS Ruben Tejada
- SP Jonathon Niese
- The Mets stacked their lineup with lefties against Hamels. Daniel Murphy is the only left handed hitter in the starting lineup.
- Eric Young Jr gets his first start since Monday in Miami against the left handed Hamels. Curtis Granderson will get a day off.
- Eric Campbell makes his first career start at first base and will hit fifth. Lucas Duda will get the day off.
- The pitching matchup is a rematch of the April 29th game when Niese and the Mets beat Hamels and the Phillies 6-1.
- Hamels has struggled mightily against the Mets in his career, going 7-14 with a 4.65 ERA in 27 starts against them.
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1awl