Dillon Gee gave the New York Mets a strong effort yesterday to help the Mets avoid getting swept in Colorado. The Mets dropped three of four games against the red hot Rockies at Coors Field, but they will look to carry the momentum from the finale win forward to the final stop on their road trip. Tonight, the Mets are in South Beach to begin a three game series with the Miami Marlins. First pitch for tonight's contest at Marlins Park is scheduled for 7:10 pm.
The Marlins (16-15) are in last in the National League East, but only sit a game and a half behind the division leading Atlanta Braves. The Mets (16-14) sit in third in the division, a game behind the Braves and a half game up on the Marlins. The Mets will send lefty Jonathon Niese (2-2, 2.20 ERA) to the mound tonight. Niese is coming off of a win in his last outing, going seven innings in a 6-1 victory over the Phillies. The Marlins will counter with right hander Nate Eovaldi (2-1, 2.58 ERA). Eovaldi picked up a win his last time out as well, throwing seven innings of one run ball in a 9-3 victory over the Braves.
New York Mets Lineup:
- LF Eric Young Jr
- 2B Daniel Murphy
- 3B David Wright
- CF Curtis Granderson
- RF Bobby Abreu
- 1B Lucas Duda
- C Travis d'Arnaud
- SS Omar Quintanilla
- SP Jonathon Niese
- Manager Terry Collins is sitting right handed hitters Chris Young, Juan Lagares, and Ruben Tejada due to Eovaldi's strong mark against righties. Right handed batters are hitting only .127 against Eovaldi on the season.
- Eric Young Jr is back in the lineup a day after taking a ball off his cheekbone during batting practice. He will play left field and hit leadoff.
- Bobby Abreu will fill in for Chris Young. He will hit fifth and play right field.
- Omar Quintanilla will replace Ruben Tejada and hit eighth.
- Mets' pitchers are hitless on the year, going a combined 0 for 51 over the team's first 30 games.
- The Marlins have the best home record in baseball, checking into today's game with a 14-5 record at Marlins Park.
- The Mets took two out of three from the Marlins the last time these teams met at Citi Field.