It looks as if Ike Davis and Lucas Duda may not be the only players on the trade block for the New York Mets. General Manager Sandy Alderson held a press conference at the Winter Meetings in Orlando this evening, and made some comments implying that Eric Young Jr, displaced from a starting job after the Mets added Curtis Granderson, may not be destined for a bench role. This statement raised eyebrows, and then a very interesting report broke.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported on Twitter that a rival team executive told him the Mets are willing to deal second baseman Daniel Murphy this week. Murphy, who hit .286 with 13 home runs and 78 RBI's in 2013, was the Mets' best offensive player not named David Wright last season. Trade rumors involving Murphy are a bit surprising, but there is logic in exploring a deal. The Mets have a couple of in house candidates who could play second in the event Murphy is dealt, including Eric Young Jr and Wilmer Flores. Murphy also should command about five million dollars in his second year of salary arbitration.
The press conference from Alderson also yielded the following tidbits:
- The Mets will come into the winter meetings with two first baseman (Ike Davis and Lucas Duda) and hope to leave with only one.
- Alderson would like to add at least one external starting pitcher to his rotation.
- The Mets remain in the market for a veteran bullpen arm who can help Bobby Parnell, but they could re-inforce the unit from within.
- The Mets still view Ruben Tejada as a viable option at shortstop.
- Curtis Granderson will be paid 13 million dollars in 2013, 16 million each in 2014 and 2015, and 15 million in 2016.
- The Mets are aiming to have a press conference for Granderson at the meetings this week.
Stay tuned here at Mets 101.com as we break down all the news from this week's Winter Meetings!
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Report: New York Mets May Trade Ike Davis or Lucas Duda at Winter Meetings
- Mets 101 Player Review Series: Daniel Murphy
- Report: Troy Tulowitzki and Giancarlo Stanton Likely Staying Put This Winter
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/153u