The New York Mets (69-84) defeated the Philadelphia Phillies (71-82) Friday night at Citizens Bank Park by a score of 6-4. Met captain David Wright returned to the lineup for the first time since suffering a hamstring injury on August 2 and homered in his first at-bat off Phillies starter Cole Hamels. The homer, a two-run shot that also scored Daniel Murphy, put the Mets up 3-0 and they were able to keep the lead
- Daniel Murphy led the Mets with three runs scored in a 3-for-5 effort, which included a RBI single in the first that scored Eric Young Jr.
- Young doubled to leadoff the ballgame before stealing third and scoring on the Murphy single. He would add an RBI single of his own in the fourth, driving home Travis d'Arnaud for his 29th RBI of the season.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka (W, 2-3) allowed four runs on four hits over six innings of work en route to his second consecutive victory. Dice-K also walked three and struck out six.
- Dice-K really only had one bad inning, as the Phillies scored all four of their runs in the fourth inning, with the big play coming on a two-RBI double by Darin Ruf, Chase Utley and Carlos Ruiz both scored, as did Domonic Brown on an error by Young. Ruf later scored on a groundout by Hamels.
- Hamels (L, 8-14) lost for the first time since July 26, allowing all six Met runs on ten hits over seven innings. He also struck out eight and did not walk a batter.
- LaTroy Hawkins (SV, 11) tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for the save.
- Wright finished the night 2-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
Player of the Game
- Daniel Murphy was the Met catalyst on this night, leading the Mets in hits, runs scored and even chipping in his 72nd RBI and 20th stolen base of the season. Murph is now batting .284 on the season with 89 runs scored.
What's on Deck
- The Mets and Phillies resume their three-game weekend series Saturday night at 7:05 PM. Dillon Gee (11-10, 3.47) faces Tyler Cloyd (2-5, 5.06) with local coverage on SNY.
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Lagares’ Big Night Leads Mets Over Phillies 4-3
- New York Mets’ Offense Comes to Life in 11-3 Beatdown of Philadelphia Phillies
- New York Mets Belt Three Homers in 5-1 Victory Against the St. Louis Cardinals as Dillon Gee Cruises
- Mets 101 Game Preview: New York Mets at Philadelphia Phillies
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/115n