The New York Mets (65-81) took the first game of their weekend series with the Miami Marlins (54-92) Friday night by a score of 4-3 at Citi Field. In a rarity fot the pitchers' ballpark, four of the five scoring plays in the game came on home runs, with the biggest shot coming off the bat of Lucas Duda with two outs in the sixth, a three run shot that put the Mets ahead for good, scoring Duda, Eric Young Jr. and Andrew Brown.
- Giancarlo Stanton got the Marlins off to an early 1-0 lead on a solo shot in the second, his 22nd of the season.
- Andrew Brown answered that blast right away in the home half of the inning with a solo homer of his own, his seventh of the year.
- Stanton went deep again in the seventh to pull the Marlins within one, his 23rd of the season for his 52nd RBI of the 2013 campaign.
- Donovan Solano put the Marlins up 2-1 with an RBI double in the fifth, scoring Ed Lucas.
- All three Marlins runs came off Mets starter Jonathon Niese (W, 7-7) who went 6.1 innings, allowing three runs (all earned) on six hits and no walks. Niese also fanned seven.
- Duda's only hit of the night was the homer, finishing 1-for-4 with two strikeouts. No Mets had more than one hit as the ballclub managed just five hits all night.
- Brad Hand (L, 0-1) allowed all four Met runs in 5.2 innings of work. Hand allowed all five Met hits and two walks, while striking out four in his first start of the season.
- Ryan Webb and Dan Jennings did a good job keeping the Mets off the basepaths over the final 2.2 innings, save for a two-out walk to Brown by Jennings in the eighth.
- Scott Atchison (H, 7), Vic Black (H, 1), Pedro Feliciano (H. 2) and LaTroy Hawkins (SV, 9) helped seal the deal for the Amazins, with the only Marlin hit coming on a leadoff single by Chris Coghlin off Black in the seventh.
Player of the Game
- PotG goes to Stanton in the losing effort, as the Marlins star went 2-for-4 with the two solo homers, one of just two Marlins (Ed Lucas being the other) to record a multi-hit game. Stanton also struck out twice.
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Maxwell Homer Lifts Royals Over Mets 4-3 in Twelve Innings
- New York Mets Lose 5-1 to Miami Marlins, Winning Streak Snapped at Five
- Mets 101 Game Preview Miami Marlins at New York Mets
- Venable’s Walk-Off Lifts Padres Over Mets 4-3
- Lucas Duda the Next in Line for a Trip to Las Vegas?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10qd