The New York Mets (62-72) defeated the Washington Nationals (68-67) Saturday night by a score of 11-3 at Nationals Park. The Amazins pounded out 17 hits in support of Zack Wheeler (W, 7-3) who tossed a strong game in his own regard, even with the big cushion.
- Omar Quintanilla gave Wheeler an early lead with a two-RBI double in the second, scoring Travis d'Arnaud and Juan Lagares.
- The Mets blew the ballgame wide open in the third with RBI singles from Daniel Murphy, Matt den Dekker and Eric Young Jr as well as a sacrifice fly from Ike Davis and an RBI walk drawn by Wheeler.
- Davis left the ballgame after the third inning with a strained oblique suffered on his sac fly. Lucas Duda played the final seven innings in the field at first and went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and left four on base.
- Nationals starter Dan Haren couldn't get through the big third inning, finishing with a line of 2.2 innings pitched, allowing seven runs (all earned) on nine hits with three strikeouts and no walks.
- Wheeler began to falter in the sixth, allowing three hits and two walks as the Nationals scored twice in the inning. The first came on a Jayson Werth sacrifice fly and the second on an Ian Desmond RBI single.
- Wheeler ended up getting through the inning and into the seventh, where he left the ballgame after two outs and 99 pitches. Wheeler finished with a line on 6.2 innings pitched, with two runs (both earned) allowed on five hits and a walk, with three strikeouts.
- The Mets extended their lead in the eighth off Nats reliever Ryan Mattheus to 9-2 on a RBI double by Murphy that scored Young, followed by a two-RBI single from Juan Lagares that scored Murphy and Josh Satin to increase the gap to 11-2.
- After scoreless appearances by Pedro Feliciano and David Aardsma, Scott Atchison came on for the ninth, allowing three singles and two fielders choices that allowed Jhonatan Solano to score on a Denard Span grounder. Atchison escaped the jam however, fouling out Bryce Harper to end the ballgame.
Player of the Game
- PotG honors go to a group of Mets tonight, as EY Jr., Murph and Lagares all led the way with three hits, two RBI and two runs a piece. Honorable mention goes to Josh Satin who also had three hits with one RBI.
What's on Deck
- The Mets will go for the sweep Sunday night as the teams meet once again at 8:05 PM with national coverage on ESPN2. Jonathon Niese (6-6, 3.69) will face the Nationals Ross Ohlendorf (3-0, 2.49).
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Zack Wheeler Propels New York Mets Past Atlanta Braves 5-3
- Zack Wheeler Improves to 4-1 as New York Mets Defeat Atlanta Braves 7-4
- Zack Wheeler Impresses in Debut as New York Mets Defeat Atlanta Braves 6-1
- Zack Wheeler Settling in to New York Mets’ Rotation
- Nationals Beat up on Wheeler, Mets in 13-2 Drubbing
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/100y