The New York Mets (56-66) lost the final game of their series with the San Diego Padres (56-68) Sunday afternoon by a score of 4-3 on a walk-off, solo home run by Wil Venable at Petco Park. With the win, the Friars earned a split of the four-game weekend series with the Amazins, after the Mets took the first two games on Thursday and Friday.
- The late inning comeback by the Padres spoiled another fantastic start from Matt Harvey, who allowed just two runs on six hits while walking none and striking out six in six innings of work.
- Harvey was in a position to win the game after the Mets took the lead on an RBI double from Andrew Brown that scored Omar Quintanilla in the top of the seventh inning.
- The Padres tied the game on a one out, RBI single by Chris Denorfia in the eighth inning off Gonzalez Germen (BS, ) that scored Yonder Alonso from third.
- Pedro Feliciano (L, 0-2) served up the leadoff homer to Venable in the ninth, picking up his second loss in his last three appearances.
- Huston Street (W, 1-4) tossed a scoreless ninth, surrendering only a two-out walk to Travis d'Arnaud.
- Marlon Byrd had a hand in the first two Met runs, doubling in Justin Turner in the first and scoring on a Wilmer Flores sacrifice fly in the fourth.
Player of the Game
- For the second straight game, Wil Venable takes PotG honors, capping off a 2-for-5 day with the homer. The Padres outfielder drove in two of their four runs, also chipping in with a RBI single in the fifth off Harvey, that scored Logan Forsythe. He was also stellar defensively, taking away a potential homer from Marlon Byrd in the eighth.
What's on Deck
- The Mets, back to ten games under .500, now head to Minnesota for a quick make-up game against the Twins. They'll have little time to relax, taking the field at 2:10 PM (EST), with local coverage on WPIX. The game is rescheduled from April 14, which was postponed due to snow.
You can meet Doc Gooden! Sports Fan Promotions is providing fans with an opportunity to meet legendary New York Yankees and New York Mets pitcher Doc Gooden on Thursday, August 22 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. The event is being held at Locker Room Sports, 76 Main St. in Woodbridge, NJ 07095. Autographs are just $25 for any item, with inscriptions for $10!
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.
- Mets Take Second Straight from Padres with 5-2 Win
- Jenrry Mejia Leaves with Elbow Pain as San Diego Padres Crush New York Mets 8-2
- Ryan Zimmerman’s Walk Off Home Run Sinks New York Mets
- New York Mets Score Two in Eighth to Defeat San Diego Padres 4-1
- Five Run Eighth Inning Lifts New York Mets to 10-6 Win Over San Francisco Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zaa