New York- Collin McHugh was as good as it gets in terms of a rookie making his Major League debut. McHugh tossed seven shut out innings, struck out nine, and walked only one in the process. McHugh's debut was arguably better than Matt Harvey's first start this year, but it would still not be enough as the Mets would lose to the Rockies 1-0.
Tyler Colvin, who was filling in for the injured Dexter Fowler, tripled off of Bobby Parnell in the top of the eighth. Colvin was able to hit the triple on a play that should have been a line out to center. However, with little experience playing center field, Jordany Valdespin was unable to get the right read on the ball, allowing it to fall just past him and thus leading to the triple. Colvin would score after a Chris Nelson single.
Post Game Notes:
- U.S. Gymnast Olympic Gold Medalist Gabby Douglas tossed the opening pitch for today's ball game.
- With the win today, the Rockies have completed the sweep of the Mets.
- This is the sixth time the Mets have been swept this season.
- McHugh is the first Mets pitcher to throw seven shutout innings and get nine strikeouts in his Major League Debut in over 14 years.
- Along with losing their fifth in a row, the team is now 11 games under .500.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/j80