It really comes as no shock who would get named the New York Jets starting quarterback for the 2014 regular season, but after Friday night's preseason loss against the New York Giants, Rex Ryan made up his mind.
“He’s done everything that we’ve asked him,” Ryan said, after answering yes when asked if Smith would start against the Raiders
Smith is coming off a game where he went 9-for-14 for 137 yards and a touchdown pass and looked more refined in his latest meeting against the Giants; last season he threw three interceptions against the Giants in their annual preseason showdown and looked every bit possible of a rookie quarterback going through the rookie growing pains.
Despite throwing 21 interceptions to just 12 touchdowns, Smith lead the Jets to an 8-8 season and if he improves on his rookie season, the sky is the limit for the second-year quarterback with the Jets.
Some thought that when the team signed Michael Vick from the Philadelphia Eagles after cutting Mark Sanchez, Vick could challenge Smith for the starting job, but that apparently was never going to be the case and the starting job was always going to be Smith's heading into the season.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- New York Jets to Start Geno Smith Vs. Giants; Rex Ryan Won’t Name Week 1 Starter
- Donovan McNabb Thinks New York Jets Should Scrap ‘Garbage’ Wildcat Option Under Michael Vick, Geno Smith
- Dee Milliner Expected to Miss 3-4 Weeks with High Ankle Sprain; Questionable for Week 1 Vs. Oakland Raiders
- New York Jets’ Rex Ryan Takes Jab at New York Giants’ Andre Williams Over Comments
- New York Jets Lose Austin Howard to Oakland Raiders, Pursue Breno Giacomini, Zach Strief
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ev8