The New York Jets selected Calvin Pryor with the No. 18 selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, setting the table for the rest of their weekend. The Jets have clear needs going into the second round of the NFL Draft tonight, areas which can be addressed with with players worthy of the No. 49 selection. The main targets for the Jets will be at cornerback, wide receiver and tight end. If possible, the Jets can be expected to grab an offensive playmaker. Players like Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Marqise Lee, Jordan Matthews, Troy Niklas, Allen Robinson, Keith McGill and even Jimmy Garoppollo could be in play for John Idzik and the Jets.
New York Jets Second Round Wish List
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Tight End, Washington: Austin Seferian-Jenkins is a big, surprisingly-fast tight end who is a physical blocker and effective red zone target. Seferian-Jenkins will make an immediate impact in the NFL in the run game as an inline blocker and in the red zone. As he continues to progress he could grow into one of the dominant tight ends in the league.
- Marqise Lee, Wide Receiver, USC: Given all the talk leading up to the NFL Draft about the Jets and Marqise Lee, a trade up early in the second round to grab Lee is possible. There are better values to be had if the Jets stay at No. 49.
- Jordan Matthews, Wide Receiver, Vanderbilt: Tall, productive receiver who ran a hand-timed 4.40 in the 40-yard dash. Pairing him with Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley would give the Jets a well-rounded receiving corps, with the hope that Stephen Hill will become a contributor at some point.
- Allen Robinson, Wide Receiver, Penn State: Another receiving option, with good size and leaping ability. Slightly shorter than Jordan Matthews but very productive at Penn State.
- Troy Niklas, Tight End, Notre Dame: Big, physical converted linebacker. Good hands and a very willing blocker. The Jets should probably stay away from tight ends like Jace Amaro who aren't proven blockers and lean towards Niklas and Seferian-Jenkins, who can create some running lanes for Chris Ivory and Chris Johnson.
- Keith McGill, Cornerback, Utah: Tall, long cornerback somewhat in the mold of Richard Sherman physically. Didn't produce many big plays, just one interception in two seasons.
- Jimmy Garoppollo, Quarterback, Eastern Illinois: A quarterback? Yes, it has been rumored that the Jets would consider Garoppollo or another quarterback in the second round. If the Jets think Garoppollo has a chance to be special, they should spend their second round pick on him.
The second round of the 2014 NFL Draft kicks off at 7 p.m. tonight. Will the Jets use their extra picks to move up or will they stay at No. 49?
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Jets Select Calvin Pryor
- New York Jets: All 12 2014 NFL Draft Choices
- New York Jets: Four Compensatory Picks Added in 2014 NFL Draft
- New York Jets 2014 NFL Draft: Mock Draft 1.0
- New York Jets 2014 NFL Draft Profiles: Tight Ends
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aub